Monday, December 5, 2011

Foxy's First 5k

Facing obstacles then surpassing them.

A month ago Foxy told me he had signed up for the Bridge Run, I was excited for him, not only because it was his first race but also because I know how much he doesn't love running!  With this in mind, I thought it was important to hear his perspective on the experience:

"I took part in the bridge run Saturday, my first ever race, and had a great time!  Parts of me thought it would be no big deal, but the closer it came, the other parts started to win and I wondered if I had bitten off more than I could chew, only training 3 times to get ready...

It was an awe inspiring event to say the least, mentally and physically. The thought of taking on the Talmadge was just another way to test myself at something completely foreign and see what I was made of, much like FGB or CF Total.

It got real when I was near the starting line with the crowd bucking and rearing to get going! The national anthem was sung and I knew that on the other side of the line nothing else mattered. Santa gave us the "go" and off we went! Not being experienced I had to worry about my pace and not getting caught up with everyone else and do my thing. Then came the bottom of the bridge... I felt like I was moving pretty well up it and the next thing I knew I was on the top and could feel the momentum change as I was heading down again. I had made it to the top!!

Moving down was way easier and almost a rest period, then a small hill after the bridge took us into downtown. Soon enough I saw a sign that said 800 To Go and I thought about doing the loop at gym and knew I was getting close.

People were starting to appear and were gathered around the finish area and I could hear a band playing. I got my 2&3rd awe moment around that 800 sign and that last corner where I could see and hear everyone cheering and the inflatable Finish Arch. Even though I was only doing the 5K I was made to feel like I had just ran a marathon or competed in the Olympics, so I kicked it up a little and raced to cross the finish line with an end time of 30:21."
We're so proud of you Foxy -way to kick running's ass. 
-Camilla

WOD FOR TUESDAY
10 x sprint to dumpster and back at max speed, 60 seconds rest between sprints.

After sprints, total handstand hold of 3 minutes, along with l-sit of 3 minutes

Now you know the WOD
- CLICK HERE to sign up for your class.

1 comment: